Home

Friday, July 1, 2011

Syianic - Garnerville, N.Y. (1987 - 1988)


Syianic hailed from northern Rockland County NY and consisted of Glenn (Guitars), Rodney (Drums) and Damon (Bass and Vocals) who later went on to play in Non-Fiction with Dan Lorenzo of Hades.

While a majority of the metal bands from Rockland were playing a clean thrash metal style in the 80's and 90's Syianic stepped up to the plate with a more technical Death/Thrash approach that blew me away from my very first listen almost 25 years ago.

I remember the drummer Rodney giving me their demo back in 87 and really not knowing what to expect in all honestly. I mean, I was 20 years old and Rodney was probably 15 years old at the time so I wasn't expecting much from this kids demo , and man was I surprised when I dropped that sucker into the tape deck. The demo immediately grabbed me with it's dirty sound quality, frantic riffing, walking bass lines and quick solid drumming.





















In 1988 the band went back into the studio looking to improve on the sound quality of the 87 demo, and also to take the music to an even more complex place, and what they ended up with is an epic VoiVoid meets Slayer "Hell Awaits" era sounding masterpiece of a song. Unlike the 1987 demo I do not think the 1988 demo track was ever released to the public, beyond being given to a handful of close friends...so I am glad that I can now turn the rest of the world on to this incredible song.

In closing I need to thank Glenn for hooking me up with these demos again after 20 plus years as my original cassettes had fallen victim to time. Also, Glenn sent me a copy of the most recent cd from his band "At War With Self" so give them a listen as well (Glenn incorporated a few old Syianic riffs into a couple of the songs). At War With Self have a more progressive sound to their music and Glenn is one hell of a good guitarist...really top notch musicianship on this cd...very impressive indeed...Dave G.

1987 " The Cross Has Fallen" demo + the 1988 demo + a song from At War With Self .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

According to Ted Hanauer, the name of the song on Demo 1988 is called Out of Control. I know him personally and he's sure about this. He knew the guys from Syianic personally.

Dave G said...

Thanks for the info about the 88 song...such a killer track, and now we have it's name...